Studying in the United Kingdom - student visa


If you are coming to the United Kingdom as a student, before you come here you will need to have been accepted onto a course of study by an organisation that is on the register of education and training providers.

To apply a student visa you must have an approved education provider. All education providers who want to provide courses for international students need a licence from the UK Border Agency. You can check whether your education provider has a licence by looking at the click to view.

Your approved education provider will give you a visa letter which is an official and unconditional offer of a place on a course of study. The information in the visa letter depends on what category of student you are applying under.

Your visa letter must be issued no more than six months before you apply. You must give your approved education provider all the information they need to be able to meet the duties above.